The agreement extends online, competency-based learning opportunities to all community college graduates and employees while establishes a 3+1 transfer program in Nursing.
Western Governors University (WGU) and Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College today announced a new partnership with Western Governors University (WGU) that allows Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College graduates to seamlessly transfer their coursework to the accredited, online university. Through this collaborative effort, WGU will provide Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College students and its employees flexible, personalized learning pathways to WGU’s innovative online bachelor and master degree programs and credentials.
“WGU has built very strong relationships with community college organizations and higher education institutions across the United States. Partnering with organizations such as Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College is one of the many examples of how we create pathways between talent and opportunity that will allow potential to thrive,” WGU Central Region Vice President Alison Bell said. “We are very excited about this announcement and look forward to welcoming Eastern graduates to WGU.”
Both Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College and WGU foster a commitment to furthering the quality, accessibility, and affordability of higher education. The agreement will allow students from Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College campuses and locations the ability to advance their individual educational goals.
“Creating seamless transfer opportunities benefits students in multiple ways such as cost savings on courses, reducing time towards a degree, and better coordination between 2 and 4-year institutions. Our focus should be on student success and programs like this help institutions of higher education achieve this goal,” states Dr. Tom Striplin, Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College President.
“This is an example of institutions of higher education working together to provide opportunities to Eastern students,” states Dr. Charles Terrell, Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College Former President.
“Eastern is thrilled to be partnering with an excellent and innovative non-profit institution like Western Governors University. This collaboration provides an incredible opportunity for Eastern students to further their educational goals at their own pace and remain in West Virginia,” states Curtis Hakala, Dean of Teaching and Learning.
Under the terms of this agreement, WGU will:
- Graduates and staff of Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College are eligible to apply for the WGU Community College Partnership Scholarship, valued at $2,500 and dispersed to recipients in increments of $625 per semester for up to four terms based on satisfactory academic performance. The scholarship helps alleviate some of the financial burden individuals face when pursuing a degree.
- Prepare seamless associate degree to bachelor degree articulation agreements for all related degree programs in business, Information Technology and health professions.
- Create a 3+1 transfer option for Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College nursing graduates who possess a West Virginia RN license.
- Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College nursing graduates who are eligible for the 3+1 program may also enroll in the MS, Nursing bridge programs, in nursing education or nursing leadership and management. The BS, Nursing degree is awarded to the 3+2 student as they progress toward the MS, Nursing degree.
- WGU will offer a reverse transfer program through the National Student Clearinghouse. The reverse transfer program will permit Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College students, who may transfer to WGU without an associate degree, to obtain an associate degree from Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College, while enrolled in a WGU bachelor’s degree.
- Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College graduates can apply for free using a unique code that will waive the $65 application fee.
More information is available to Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College students and faculty through the WGU landing page partners.wgu.edu.
WGU was recently named as a top college for developing dynamic transfer pathways to community college graduates throughout the nation. Through this ongoing mission, the online university not only meets students of all backgrounds where they are but helps support them every step of the way while they pursue their degree.
The online university is open to all qualified West Virginia residents and offers affordable tuition and a competency-based model that provides students with more flexibility to graduate at their own pace and on their own schedule. For more information on WGU, visit wgu.edu.
Established in 1997 by 19 U.S. governors with a mission to expand access to high-quality, affordable higher education, online, nonprofit WGU now serves more than 131,000 students nationwide and has more than 230,000 graduates in all 50 states. Driving innovation as the nation’s leading competency-based university, WGU has been recognized by the White House, state leaders, employers, and students as a model that works in postsecondary education. In just 24 years, the university has become a leading influence in changing the lives of individuals and families and preparing the workforce needed in today’s rapidly evolving economy. WGU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, has been named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, and has been featured on NPR, NBC Nightly News, CNN, and in The New York Times. Learn more at www.wgu.edu.
About Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College
Eastern West Virginia Community & Technical College is an institution of higher learning accredited through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Nestled in the mountains of the Potomac Highlands, Eastern has been serving the educational needs of our communities throughout Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Mineral, Pendleton, and Tucker counties for over 20 years.